Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Bit of Ann Arbor in Berkeley, and a Possibility for Next Year











Well, this was a really busy day, didn't expect it to be. I actually got brave and got a hair cut here, which i needed so desperately, i didn't care how it turned out! Well, it turned out fine, though the hairdresser was slow and late, and i was rushed. I was rushed because my friend, Judy K, was in Berkeley, visiting her son and daughter in law and new baby, Elias, and i had a lunch date with them. So i zoomed home. But oh yes, i forgot to put in here that on my morning walk, i saw someone i knew, who told me about a possible short term rental for next year. It's a couple who are away in the winter, so i thought i'd just leave a note. But the neighbor saw me, a delightful man named Phil, who called the people for me, showed me his identical unit, and took all my information.
so after my hair cut, i really, really had to shower, you know how your hair looks after they "do" it. i did that, raced to Berkeley because Judy didn't have much time. But oh, it was so great to see them all! David is a long term friend of my son, Matt's, probably his best friend, and such a delight. So is his wife, Mya, and their baby boy, Elias. We went out to lunch, and as we're eating, Phil called to tell me that the couple with the condo were interested, so we made a date for him to show me their condo later.
I then left the K's, to go off to see their cousin, and i did a few stairways in the hills of Berkeley. Berkeley is so unique and beautiful. Up in the hills are narrow, steep hills and streets. i was afraid to drive on them, though i did. It is so beautiful. The houses are unique and wonderful--some are dark wood, some are modern, all have character different from any other area of Northern California. I found a stairway designed by Mayback, the architect i have read about in other stairway walks. Some of the stairways had a history, talking about the Berkeley fire of 1923, of which i had never heard. The stairways arent' long, i did about 3 of them before heading back, but they all have character in this wonderful area.
i came back and toured the condo, i will call the owners tomorrow. And, they are psychologists, fellow therapists!
Oh, Phil mentioned that he has "acted" on the stage, played Thoma More in "A Man for All Seasons" on stage. So i mention this because so many of the people i've met have acted in one form or another. A guy who owns a bookstore in Mill Valley, Lindsey's Aunt Rae, this guy today, they all have acted! I guess i really am in California!

No comments: