Sunday, February 10, 2008

moraga tile staircase, walk number one




2-10-08
I did my first stairway walk today, to start my adventure in California. i arrived on friday night, and have been staying with Jay and Lindsey until sunday, when I venture to the condo in Novato. After i got the car this morning, i took off on my own, giving them some time alone, and found the stairway near them. It was in Golden Gate Heights. It began at Moraga and 16th, and wanders around Golden Gate Heights Park, above the Sunset.
It was warm and sunny today. I was trying to analzye my feelings; I felt sort of unsettled, unfocused, adventurous, and overly analytical about how i was feeling!
Anyway, i then pulled up to the staircase and ohmygod! Out of nowhere is this magnificant staircase all in tiles. And the tiles all have peoples names on them and symbols. There are all different colors of tiles, shapes, mirrored tiles, gorgeous! Jay later told me, and i also read, that the neighborhood started a movement to have the stairway paved with tiles that people bought. Jay bought a tile for James, he thinks it's on the 94th step. i didn't know this til later, however.

So that was the ups of this. The downer was that my camera didn't work! What a bummer! i took a few shots with my phone, but that is not at all satisfying. i was so bummed! The above image was taken by my cell phone. (It looks really strangely colorized) P.S. i added the picture of the steps later.
i walked up the mosaic stairs anyway, turned around and saw the ocean. The water was hazy, and just a few waves were coming in from this vast panorama, even though the say was clear. i watched this anf it felt so good on this peaceful, sunny sunday with the birds singing.
i walked a little further, though i am not sure i followed the directions right. But i ended up on another stairway, where someone asked me if i knew where the mosaic stairs were. I so proudly answered her, so proud that i knew! ohmygod, this is fun, i thought. i took a dirt path around the top, and walked in a semi circle over the sunset area. i felt open, curious, free, thoughtful. i didn't feel joyous, but thoughtful. i felt happy, i felt that life is good, everyone is happy, my kids, Dan, me, his kids, jim and laura, a nice moment in time.
i felt a little sad that i was alone, not because i was lonely, but because i wanted to share it with someone because it was so cool.
On the way back down from this staircase, i realized i was across the way from Jay and Lindsey's. Of course, it was quite a way off, but yet, i waved!
On the way down, i noticed huge hens and chicks all over the place. lovely. i decided to go back home then, i had walked a ways, and didnt' want to do more because of no camera. i will bring Dan back here to see the mosaic steps, he'll love them, and i'll have the camera then.
Oh, i saw many other people, and everyone was so friendly, so calm and just taking it all in. How wonderful!

2 comments:

Dan Klimaszewski and Pat Haber said...

I look forward to seeing these steps.

Dan

Ruth said...

What a great beginning. The staircase sounds like the Stairway to Heaven.
Ruth