Thursday, February 14, 2008

valentine for the mind and valentine for the senses or the non stairway walk





Valentine's day! Called Matt on my daily walk to get the papers to wish him a Happy Birthday! I hope Isaac did too.
It is thursday, and i am doing a telephone support group for the Leukemia Society, so i spent an hour doing that. i am enjoying it, though it's hard to do that out here. But i did enjoy it; i had to find a place in the house that isn't bombarded with the noise of the workmen fixing the dry rot, however!
Afterwards, i drove into the city with my very trusty GPS, i love it. I went to the Legion of Honor to see the Marie Antoinette exhibit, which is leaving on saturday. It was very good, but not great. I liked the china and the furniture, and the headphone lecture, but i didn';t like all the portraits that much, i don't like that rococco style of art.
i then did my next stairway walk! or tried to. i must say, i am enjoying the adventure of trying to find the walks, and then regrouping after i either can't find it or something is amiss. Today, i tried to do the one at Lands End. I ended up at Seal Beach near Cliff house, and did find a staircase, but it was closed for repairs, as was the walk! i walked around a little, by the Sutro Baths, found a tunnel someone told me about, and did walk up another staircase. But mostly, i sat and listened to the waves. It was magificent, i just sat and listened. i took a weird self portrait, seen above, with my cell phone!
i then drove around to find another walk/stairway, and ended up at another part of Lands End, or maybe it was the real one. It was by Fort Miley. I did find the staircase down to the walk, and it was beautiful. this part of my day was a feast for the senses----the sun was shining brightly, so bright it hurt my eyes, the waves were crashing on the rocks, the path felt solid beneath my feet, and my favorite part was the smell------at one point on the walk i was among Cypress trees. Someone told me they were Monteray Cypress. They smelled so wonderfully, i just stood and took it in. a wonderful, woodsy scent.

i then drove to Jay and Lindsey's , and Lindsey and i had a great time talking til Jay got home. We then went out for sushi, yes, i am attempting to develop a taste for it. Jay brought both Linsdey and i a box of chocolates for Valentine's Day!
i am now back at their house, waiting til i can pick up Dan from the airport. he is coming in tonight, late. This of course, will be the best Valentine of all today!

1 comment:

P said...

I just got your blogsite from Cindy - you sound wonderful. So happy for you to have found a space in your life for down time and adventure.
Its fun sharing it with you through this site.
Priscilla